A couple years ago, Target had those linen bins in their dollar section. When they are normally priced at $4.00 a pop, that is a fabulous deal. I picked up a bunch and quickly put them to use around the house. A few years later, this is what they looked like:
First, they are this light tan color and they have numerous stains on them which I have no clue what they were made from. I needed to update them and fast. I need bins in the boy's room to hold Mr I's newly made cloth diapers. Not wanting to buy new ones, I set out to JoAnn's to get some fabric.
I originally was going to sew covers for the bins but after cutting the fabric too small (agh, measure twice cut once) and not wanting to make this project too expensive I dug out my trusty
I took off the handles with my seam ripper:
Cut the fabric so it was about 1/2 an inch longer then the sides of the bins and mod podged the fabric on. The beauty about fabric is if you put on just a light layer of mod podge then it won't seep through the fabric and you get a nice clean fabric look. I did opposite sides first and then the front and back. I folded the fabric under only on the sides of the front and back so that there was a clean line. Mod podge is a natural fray check so the I don't have to worry about the fabric fraying. Yay!
Nice clean lines and nice new looking bins! The beauty of the project is that it only took like an hour.
Here is the before and after:
Much better looking then the before!
Check out my side bar for link parties I am join!