Saturday, November 13, 2010

Thrift Store Redo

Happy Snowy Blizzardy Day!

I thought after the 50 degree weather earlier this week that we were just going to forgo the whole winter thing and start with spring.

Boy was I wrong!

Geez! Here in good Ole' MN there is about 12 inches of snow on the ground and it is still a-coming! My back and arms ache from having to shovel the driveway (I need to start going to the gym).

While the weather was nice I started some painting projects to capitalize on it.

Remember this picture of all the thrift store finds I scored?

Well, I scored this fabulous holder/book end thingy for .99 cents! Yeah!

I still had some left over "Emma's Eyes" paint for the shoe holder so I decided to use it on this project. I primed the whole box, painted it, sanded to distress and spray painted the knobs black (much better then the gold knobs, they look like they are glowing!)

Here is how it turned out:

I really like it! I love the color. I love how it looks so elegant with my Jane Austen completel novel book (I will read that, some day!)

The knobs turned out really well but I have a questions to all you knob painters out there: Do you prime the knobs before you paint? It seemed that the spray paint was just sliding off the knobs. I had to use like half the can to get it too look this covered (trust me in some spots it is not.) Please divulge!

Anyways, that is one of the thrift store redos I have been working on.

Thanks all and I hope that everyone who is experiencing the snow be very very careful!

Check out my side bar for link parties I join!

7 comments:

  1. You scored at the thrift store. Love your redos. I think I need to bring you with my next time I go to the thrift store. Sorry about the snow, down here in Iowa it was SO warm at the beginning of the week (70's!) and now it's cold and drizzly, freezes you to the bone. Parts of Iowa are getting snow too, NOT COOL!
    Oh, and you don't have to go to the gym now that it's winter, shoveling TOTALLY counts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job! You are a thrifting Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy! I Hope you got your stuff in the mail! I didn't realize how close we lived! I hear you on this snow thing.. we got seriously spoiled this year! Here in Mankato we got about 8 inches, but I hear it is supposed to get warm again this week! Fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I forgot to say, I love your thrift store redos! Also I always spray prime anything brassy or metal before painting, otherwise it just drips right off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always prime everything, so frustrating to do all that work and not have it last. love your site,I have an etsy store too, and at the prodding of my kids just started a blog this month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Touche. Great arguments. Keep up the amazing effort.


    Also visit my homepage ... www.ballbustingblog.com

    ReplyDelete