Happy Tuesday All!
I hope everyone is having a craftastic week! I stayed up all night with this next project but I am super stoked to be presenting it to you!
I have been really inspired by those people who use cloth diapers. I have also been very uninspired by the price of diapers. I mean really, $25.00 for a box that lasts a month, less if your child is like mine and poops all the time!
So after reading a few DYI blogs and studying the picture of the Bum Genius diaper, I set out to Joann's to find the fabric and all the other gadgets I needed!
I purchased a fabric in the utility section of the store that is called PLU. It is plastic on one side and 100% polyester on the other. I was alittle disappointed when they only had blue, pink, and green. I then purchased some anti-pill fleece, which is 100% polyester too, in white. I was going to get some terry cloth and make my own inserts but then I walked by some bins and they has microfiber rags 2 for $2.50. After reading what diaper companies sell for inserts, a lot of them had said microfiber, so I scooped some up (I will let you know if they work better then terry cloth!)
I went home and got sewing. I used no pattern just then outline of a disposable diaper. This is the result of my first attempt at a diaper. Now don't laugh:
Ok, you can laugh. For some reason I thought that the plastic side should be outward, I had to buy velcro at Joann's because they had snaps but no snap attatching tool (what?!) and it over all stank! But if you are like me, I normally have to just power through a project until I understand what it is I need to do.
So after a 10:00pm run to Walmart to by some sewing needles (I bent my last one) and picking up some snaps that they had there (I must have looked very strange to those at Walmart) I got started on the second one.
This one I am so proud of! Here is the finished product:
I figured that the plastic needed to be one the inside, I love the snap look but those snaps SUCK!!! I will have to figure out where I can purchase better ones.
I liked two features of the Bum Genius diapers that I incorporated into my pattern. One, the no leak top and then the covered insert hole.
Here is a more comprehensive look at the covered insert hole:
The insert goes into the diaper and then it is hide by the flap. I am alittle worried about the seam irritating the babies skin, but we will see! Here is also look at the microfiber insert.
All in all, I am very happy with the overall project (although this one is a wee small for Isaac) and the price for it was under $20.00 which should make about 6 diapers and ones on the internet cost that much a piece. I can't wait until I can find good snaps and can make ones that actually fit my baby!
I sqeezed him into the diaper to get an action shot!
Check out my side bar for link parties I am joining today!